Master Health Coach Certification
Become the Coach You Are Destined to Be
Start Date: january 31, 2023
Gain confidence as a coach. Get live training practice. Qualify to become Board Certified.
Get direct access to and instruction from Primal Health Coach Institute® Coaching Director Erin Power in live webinars for 12 weeks.
Practice coaching with course peers and faculty to hone your craft and develop a keen sense of what works and what doesn't in a coaching setting.
Go deeper than you've ever gone before on the key tenets, methodologies, and strategies of health coaching. Solidify your knowledge and skills as a behavior change specialist.
What You'll Receive
The Master Coach Certification program is a 12-week online course with live training delivered via twice-weekly interactive webinars, plus exercises, assignments, group projects, facilitated coaching practice, and a graded coaching evaluation. You’ll receive expert instruction and guidance to prepare you for the NBHWC exam.
What You'll Learn
The Master Coach Certification Course is an investment in your future. Round out your practical skills, deepen your coaching theory knowledge, and position yourself to become a board-certified health coach.
Meet Your Instructors
Coaching and Course Director
For 25 years, Erin Power balanced her full-time marketing and advertising career with a part-time career in the fitness industry as a trainer and fitness instructor. She made the leap to full-time health coaching in 2004, and in that time has helped over 500 individual clients find freedom from food fixation and achieve an effortless relationship with food. These days she's one of the leaders at the helm of developing curriculum for Primal Health Coach Institute® and supporting the business development efforts of our graduates. She's also the co-host of "Health Coach Radio"—the podcast by health coaches, for health coaches. Erin lives outside Calgary, Alberta, Canada, on a hobby farm in the foothills of the Rocky Mountains.
Lindsay Taylor, PhD
Writer and Researcher
As a writer for Mark's Daily Apple and the leader of the thriving Keto Reset and Primal Endurance communities, Lindsay's primary job is educating people about the whats, whys, and hows of leading a health-focused life. Before coming to work for Primal Nutrition and Primal Health Coach Institute, Lindsay earned her Master's and Ph.D. in Social and Personality Psychology from the University of California, Berkeley. There she focused on self-concept, social interactions, and goal setting. In particular, she researched how self-evaluations are affected by stigma and how that impacts goal-directed behavior. After graduation, she worked at UC Berkeley as a researcher and instructor before shifting gears and pursuing a career in health. Her psychology background drives her approach to coaching, which emphasizes mindset as a key factor in overall health and wellness.
Chloe Maleski is a mental performance coach specializing in supporting professional, collegiate, and high school athletes with mental fortitude, cognitive performance, stress management, and mindfulness training.
As a former Division I scholarship runner at Duke University, Chloe understands firsthand the importance of cultivating a championship mentality, resiliency, and mental strength. She brings a unique breadth of experience to her practice as a coach and personal trainer, and now to this health coach certification course, that extends beyond her clinical expertise and personal experience as an athlete.
Chloe holds a Masters of Fine Arts degree in Psychology from Pepperdine University.
Become a Certified Master Health Coach
Upon successful completion of this course, students will have proven their true mastery of the art and science of health coaching and attained Master Primal Health Coach (MPHC) status and recognition.
Bonus! Become Board Certified
The Master Coach Certification Course also prepares and qualifies Primal Health Coaches to take and pass the credentialing exam to become a National Board-Certified Health and Wellness Coach (NBC-HWC). (Learn more here.)
Claim Your Spot in the Next Cohort
This course has very limited capacity and it always sells out quickly. If you’d like to join us, click below and complete the checkout in order to claim your spot.
Pay in Full
3 Payments of
*Tuition discounts and promotions may be available. Book a call with our admissions team or call 844-307-7662 to discuss our flexible payment plan options that suit any budget.
Who It's For
THERE ARE NO PREREQUISITES beyond being a student or graduate of PHCI's health coach certification course.
- You're a student of Primal Health Coach Institute and want to enhance your current learning experience with live and interactive education and coaching practice, pursuing your Primal Health Coach Certification and Master Primal Health Coach Certification at the same time to fast-track your studies.
- You're a graduate of Primal Health Coach Institute and want to hone your skills as a coach through experiential learning and training, earning your recognition as a Master Primal Health Coach (MPHC) in the process.
What to Expect
When you register for the course, you’ll receive login instructions to a password-protected portal with an assortment of educational materials, including digital books, audio books, and instructional videos. The educational materials are yours to download or access online at any time.
- Enroll now and get access to the course two weeks before the start date. You’ll then have immediate access to the first chapter: Goal-Setting and Implementing Action. We encourage you to begin your studies immediately!
- Every week unlocks a new chapter. This gives you some flexibility to read ahead without getting too far in front of the pace of our twice-weekly live teaching modules.
- You’ll also be invited to join an online community of your Master Coach Certification Course peers. This community will be essential for support and accountability, and to set up your practice coaching sessions, which are required for graduation and qualification to sit the NBHWC credentialing exam.
- You’ll be expected to read through the material in each chapter in detail and pass an exam with a score of 75% or better. You'll dive more deeply into the coaching concepts taught in the Primal Health Coach Certification course, as well as reconnect to some important health concepts that a board-certified health coach needs to understand.
- Each week we'll convene online for two 90-minute teaching sessions. The first is a live educational module, expanding upon what you learned in the online course materials. It includes an open Q&A and discussion panel, where you'll be encouraged to participate, ask questions, and interact with your instructor and student peers. The second of these two weekly sessions is applied learning. Students will deliver a group presentation and conduct a coaching role-play demonstration on the coaching topic or technique learned in that week’s curriculum. You will be expected to attend each of the live teaching modules. Concessions will be offered for those in alternate time zones and for occasions when you are unable to attend.
- The final session of the course consists of a review of the requirements and process to sit for the NBCHWC exam. This course is an important step in that journey, however there are additional steps you'll need to take to qualify to sit the credentialing exam. We'll help guide you on your journey to board certification so you can feel prepared to submit your exam application to NBHWC.
- Upon completion of the course, including passing all exams and practical skills assessments, you will receive your Master Primal Health Coach certificate. This certificate, in conjunction with the PHCI health coach certificate, satisfies the educational requirements to sit for the NBCHWC exam. (Please note that there are other requirements that you'll need to satisfy, outside of our course, in order to sit for the exam. You can learn more here.
Frequently Asked Questions
This course has been specifically developed to meet the rigorous educational requirements laid out by the National Board of Health and Wellness Coaches (NBHWC). The NBHWC has created an alliance with the National Board of Medical Examiners to lead the advancement of health and wellness coaching by establishing professional standards and collaborative partnerships. Students who graduate from an NBHWC-approved school may qualify to sit for the exam to earn the National Board Certified Health and Wellness Coach (NBC-HWC) credential.
Graduates of this course, having proven mastery of the art and science of health coaching and their dedication to the practice, will also receive Master Coach recognition from Primal Health Coach Institute and proudly declare their status as an MPHC.
We aim to offer this course twice per year. Master Coach courses are typically held starting in February and September each year.
Each student in an NBWHC-approved school is required to have a certain amount of direct interaction with course instructors. For this reason, we keep registration numbers to a manageable level and limit class size to 72 students.
The PHCI Certification course has graduated thousands of health coaches over the years, and will continue to remain a standalone health coaching certificate. A valued feature of the PHCI course is that it is a self-paced, online, convenient educational experience. In order to satisfy the educational requirements for NBHWC approval, however, we have elected to create an "add-on" course that specifically delivers the live teaching components and graded coaching practicum required for program approval. Many of the concepts taught in the Master Coach Certification are also taught in the PHCI certification, just in a different, more intensive manner and with live education sessions, per the requirements of the NBHWC.
Once you've completed this course and the PHCI Certification, you will be a certified Master Primal Health Coach (MPHC).
Apart from certified Master Primal Health Coach (MPHC) status and recognition and the opportunity to become a board-certified health coach, you will receive:
- A digital certificate that you can print, share, and display as proof of your achievement.
- A PHC "Master Coach" t-shirt so that you can proudly sport the status you've earned.
- Special recognition in our Find a Coach directory so potential clients can search and find you as a distinguished Master Coach.
- A digital book (PDF) comprised of the entire Master Coach course curriculum so you continue to reference the material after the course has completed and in preparation for the NBHWC exam.
As a VIP, you will also be the first to receive special invites, access to pilot programs, early bird access to future PHCI courses and events, and other opportunities reserved for Master Coach grads only.
Registration Process, Payments, and Refund Policy
Yes. We offer a convenient payment plan of three easy payments. Click the "Pricing" tab above, or call us at 844-307-7662 (or 305-394-6960) if you have any questions.
No. We believe in this course and the value it represents and are certain you will find it worth every penny.
Our refund policy reflects the nature of this course. Because this course has limited capacity, if you claim a spot it means someone else is unable to enroll. And because it is a time-restricted course, we are unable to fill spots once this course begins. As such, here are our cancellation and refund policies:
- We will issue a full refund if you cancel your enrollment on or before two weeks before the course begins.
- If you cancel between two weeks and one week before a course begins, we will issue a 75% refund.
- If you cancel within a week before the course begins, we will issue a 50% refund.
- If you cancel on or after the class start date no refund will be granted.
- Any tuition fees paid for a given course cohort cannot be transferred to a future course cohort after a course commences.
Tuition fees are non-transferable, and refunds will not be granted after a course commences.
After you submit the order form to complete your enrollment you will receive an email with next step instructions. You will then gain access to our online Master Coach Certification Course two weeks before the course begins. Within that online course you will find instructions on what to do next, including how to join the private Facebook group reserved for Master Coach students of this cohort. We will also send these instructions via email. We will then be in touch leading up to and on the course start date to kick things off. We will be with you every step of the way.
Coursework, Examinations, and Graduation
There are 12 chapters in the course, representing 12 weeks of school. Each week of the course has two corresponding chapters and two live teaching modules. So, chapters 1.1 and 1.2 correspond with week 1 of the course. Chapters 2.1 and 2.2 correspond with week 2, etc. You get access to the course two weeks before the class start date, so you can start on the reading without getting too far ahead. You'll be expected to join our mandatory live teaching modules twice per week, every week for 12 weeks. These twice-weekly sessions will specifically expand on the corresponding lessons for that week. The 12th and final week of the program gives you time to prepare and pass the final exam.
The online curriculum in this course is incredibly robust, totaling over 140,000 words. Combined with the live teaching modules and the practice coaching sessions you'll need to complete, you're looking at a commitment of anywhere from 8-10 hours per week.
Unlike our PHCI Certification, this is not a self-paced course. Due to the nature of this course, which includes a live teaching component, students are expected to keep pace with the rest of the class on a week-to-week basis and to complete the course and all exams before the class ends one week after the last webinar is delivered. You will be unenrolled from the course and your access to it will terminate two weeks after the last webinar to give way to the next cohort.
Yes. This is a timed course. See the previous question and answer.
That said, you will be given a digital book (PDF) comprised of the entire Master Coach course curriculum so you continue to reference the material after the course has completed and in preparation for the NBHWC exam.
Once we have a sense of who has enrolled in the course and which time zones are most represented, we will select a time, twice-weekly, that seems convenient for most students. Understanding that no time will be convenient for all, we have processes in place to ensure that those who are unavailable for the scheduled live teaching modules can attend and complete their sessions. Tentatively, we are aiming for Tuesdays and Thursdays, in the late afternoon/early evening, Pacific Time, and the sessions will be approximately 90-minutes in duration.
They are. This is one of the educational requirements laid out by the NBHWC and the reason we elected to create this secondary course for Primal Health Coach Institute students and grads who wish to have the option of sitting for the NBHWC credentialing exam.
Yes! Our Primal Health Coach Certification and Master Coach courses are designed to complement each other and can be taken concurrently. Or you can take the Master Coach course after you've completed the PHCI Certification if you prefer. Our Master Coach course provides you with direct access to PHCI faculty and the kind of live education and coaching training we can only provide to a small, select group of students at any given time. The Master Coach Course is experiential learning at its best. It is not required to become a Primal Health Coach, but if you would like more access, more personalized feedback, and the opportunity to accumulate real coaching experience ahead of graduation, consider taking our Master Coach Course while you make your way through your PHCI Certification.
We encourage all Master Coach students to complete the Primal Health Coach Certification course before completing the Master Coach course, even if you're taking them concurrently. However, in some special cases, depending on the timing of enrollment into both courses, you may find yourself completing the Master Coach Certification before our primary certification course. Our policy holds that you cannot earn Master Coach Primal Health Coach status until you've completed both courses, so in the event that you complete Master Coach first, your Master Coach certificate will be automatically issued but then manually revoked, and then re-issued again at the time you complete the Primal Health Coach Certification course.
No. In order to acquire the NBC-HWC designation you must: complete an NBHWC-approved health coaching program; complete some additional qualification tasks as laid out by the NBHWC, including submission of a coaching log and education documentation; and apply for, pay for, write, and pass the NBCHWC credentialing exam, offered approximately twice a year.
The NBC-HWC is the first national board certification credential for the profession of health coaching. Receiving this designation means that you have met the educational requirements to be a board certified health and wellness coach. This designation is not the same as registration or licensure in a health care field; nor does it broaden your scope of practice as a health coach. As the health coaching industry continues to grow, we may see more employers and medical facilities looking to hire health coaches, and those organizations may insist on hiring only board-certified health coaches. It is not a requirement to practice as a health coach at this time.
Not quite. There are a few other tasks you'll need to complete in order to qualify to sit for the exam. The NBHWC has a detailed information page identifying everything you need to accomplish before you can take the exam.
While we have taken measures within this course to set you up for the best possible outcome in the NBCHWC exam, whether you pass it or not remains up to you. Our course satisfies the educational requirements for NBHWC approval, so you qualify to sit for the board exam, but it is not an exam prep course designed to help you ace the test.
No problem! At this time, there is no requirement for any health coach to sit for the credentialing exam; there is no requirement for a health coach to have the NBC-HWC credential in order to practice; nor do we require that graduates of our course go on to acquire the board certification credential. This course can be taken purely to deepen your coaching knowledge and skill.
The NBHWC, despite being a US-based national board certifying organization, does also certify international coaches. If you sit for and pass the NBCHWC exam, you can call yourself a board-certified health coach even if you live outside the US.
What Our Grads Have to Say
The Master Coach Certification Course surrounded me with like minded individuals who want to help each other grow and succeed in helping others. Because of the course I now have more confidence in myself and my ability to be a great coach. And Course Instructor Erin Power is amazing! I love her energy. She's no nonsense in a compassionate, fun way. She put her heart, passion, and love into this course and it came shining through.
Certified Master Coach
The course has taught me so much. Most importantly, it has taught me to listen well, to be present and engaged, and ask open, thoughtful questions. It has taught me that the client knows their body the best, and that my role is to collaborate, support and, with their permission, educate and inform. The class was composed of a truly impressive array of experienced and thoughtful individuals, and instructor Erin Power exceeded all my expectations!
Certified Master Coach
Engaging, organized, thoughtful, incredibly informative—course instructor Erin Power, and this class, changed the way I see the world. I'm much more confident in coaching people, and now understand the value in having the client be in the driver's seat to spur motivation and lasting change. The fellow students were an incredible group of people and I am very honored to be part of this cohort. I feel we will collaborate and refer clients to each other in years to come.
Certified Master Coach