Growth mindset affirmations empower, inspire and motivate.
The human brain holds great influence over our mindset and our perspective. A positive outlook will set you up to achieve extraordinary feats. Conversely, negative and pessimistic thoughts can hinder growth and change.
Whether you’re a health coach, a life coach, a personal trainer or a teacher, understanding the power of positive thought will help guide your clients or students towards behavioral change.
It’s easy to feel positive and motivated when you’re feeling happy and content. However, motivation can falter and bad habits can set in, when an individual is faced with tough challenges and hurdles. You will find that many of your clients will seek support and guidance from you as their coach at this time. Having the best tools to support your clients towards health and happiness is a must for any successful coach. This is when affirmations can come in handy.
Affirmations are short sentences or phrases that evoke positivity and mindfulness. They have the power to manifest health, wellness and happiness, and can be implemented as a useful growth mindset tool.
In this post we explore how to use growth mindset affirmations effectively with your clients. We also share 43 positive affirmations to uplift and motivate.
What Is a Growth Mindset?
Growth mindset is the concept that your intelligence, talents and abilities are the result of effort and learning. Conversely, a fixed mindset is the idea that your talent alone creates your success and cannot be improved.
The theories of growth and fixed mindset were developed over 30 years ago by psychologist Dr Carol Dweck. More recently, there’s a growing awareness of these concepts outside of the world of psychology. Growth mindset techniques have been used:
- To improve academic achievements in the classroom.
- By elite athletes to overcome injury and boost performance.
- By successful businesses and large corporations to increase productivity and maximize profits.
Once you let go of a fixed mindset, it removes the fear and negativity that has been holding you back. By simply adding the word “yet” to a phrase, it changes its meaning and its energy.
For example: “I’m not able to do a push up…yet.” It’s power stuff.
What Are Growth Mindset Affirmations?
Growth mindset affirmations are positive words and phrases that can be used to motivate and empower. Affirmations can be used as tools to deflect negative self-talk, to build confidence, open minds and to encourage an optimistic outlook.
Daily affirmations have the greatest impact when they are embraced at least once a day, either through meditation, visualization or journaling.
Coaches can use affirmations with clients to:
- Overcome sabotaging and negative thoughts.
- Improve self-belief.
- Solidify a new healthy habit.
- Build confidence.
How to Craft a Powerful Affirmation in 5 Steps
Positive affirmations work best when they’re written to specifically address a behavior or an activity that you would like to change or improve. Here’s a 5 step guide to help you craft your own affirmations to use with your clients:
- Brainstorm areas of focus or improvement. These will become the basis of an affirmation. For example, a client may want to “Make the healthiest nutrition choices when dining out.”
- Flip a negative thought into a positive affirmation. Instead of the negative phrase: “I don’t have time to prepare and cook healthy meals,” you can flip it into a positive statement: “I make time to prepare and cook healthy meals.”
- Check whether your affirmation is realistic and achievable. Critically assess whether your affirmation can be achieved through SMART goal setting. If an affirmation is too far fetched it may lose its power and the words may not have a strong impact.
- Write your affirmation in the present tense. Powerful affirmations are written as if they are happening in the now.
- Say your affirmation with meaning. Believe the words in your affirmation and they will have the greatest impact.
43 Empowering Growth Mindset Affirmations
We’ve put together a comprehensive list of 43 growth mindset affirmations for you to use with your clients.
6 Affirmations to Boost Confidence
- I am calm when meeting new people.
- I can do this!
- I am successful at what I do.
- I am proud of my achievements.
- I enjoy learning new skills.
- I am excited to explore new opportunities.
6 Fitness Affirmations
- My body craves exercise.
- I am strong and powerful.
- I feel energized when lifting weights.
- I enjoy walking before work.
- Yoga calms me.
- Playing sport is fun.
5 Affirmations for Healthy Nutrition Choices
- I delight in selecting fresh vegetables at the farmer’s market.
- Making healthy food choices improves my mood.
- I make time in my daily routine to prepare my meals.
- Preparing a nutritious meal brings me great joy.
- I nourish my body with real food.
6 Affirmations for Self-Care
- My well-being is important.
- I care for myself.
- I love myself.
- My happiness is my priority.
- I am worthy of my time.
- Investing in myself is healthy.
5 Affirmations for Positive Self-Image
- I believe in me.
- I will continue to learn and grow.
- I surround myself with people who bring out the best in me.
- I acknowledge my own self-worth.
- My thoughts, words and actions align with my authentic self.
5 Mindfulness Affirmations
- I attract positivity and kindness.
- I am focused on what I can control.
- Every interaction I have today is valuable.
- I am engaged in the present moment.
- I control my thoughts and actions.
5 Personal Development Affirmations
- I am capable of great things.
- I remain calm in chaotic situations.
- I am amazing.
- As long as I put my mind to it, anything is possible.
- I am full of gratitude.
5 Affirmations to Help You Embrace New Challenges
- I am grateful for adversity because it allows me to grow.
- My strength is greater than any struggle.
- I choose to find hopeful and optimistic ways to look at obstacles and roadblocks.
- My potential to succeed is infinite.
- I am unafraid to try and fail.
Growth mindset affirmations are most effective when:
- They are practiced daily.
- They are specific to the individual.
- They are said or read with meaning.
We hope our 43 growth mindset affirmations have inspired you and your clients to lead your happiest, healthiest lives.
To learn how to become a health coach or to up-level your skills and credentials as a health coach, visit primalhealthcoach.com.